A small group of colleagues and I have been successful in getting funding for a two year project looking at innovative online strategies for assessment of and feedback on student writing. We’ll be looking in depth at digital writing practices on the University of Edinburgh’s MSc in E-learning programme, including:
- tutor-student communication and formative feedback through reflective weblogs
- assessing collaborative writing in wikis
- assessing multimodal and hypertextual work
- student-nominated assessment criteria
- co-creating courses through discussion
The project officially started yesterday, and I’ll be heading it up. I’m really excited about it, especially because one of the things we’ll be doing is inviting students on the programme to work with us as co-researchers, conducting a series of ethnographies of particular courses and helping to develop an “assessment and feedback stories” wiki. We’ll also draw on archived data from the programme since it launched in 2006.
I’d really like to hear about other projects people have done which have used similar methodologies or explored similar themes. Please get in touch if you know of any!